Another One Gone

I've always found writing cathartic if not somewhat laborious but I find that this is the only place I really want to be right now. 
Having to say it out loud means that I have to accept it. 
It was hard enough to go and see him. 
Today, the 5th of July my best-friend, Gilbert Johnson passed away. I was lucky that my best friend was a relative, he was 83 years old. He loved me from before I was born and I loved him from the very moment that I drew my first breath. 
He was the Batman to my Robin, The Tom to my Jerry the Laurel to my Hardy! Of all the great duo's there is always the master, the lead and then their slightly awkward side kick that clearly looks up to the other. It doesn't take much to guess which one I was. 
My Grand-Dad was loved by all, the whole family (it's a pretty big family), his whole neighbourhood and pretty much everyone he ever came into contact with...other than the crazy Chinese man that lived next door. People that had lived on the same road as him for 30 years wanted to com and pay their respects, how could they not. He was the life and soul of any party, the best dressed in any crowd and the bluntest taker going. More than any of that he was my Grand-Dad, my best friend and now my guardian angel and confidant. He taught me how to love, how to smile and the true importance of family. 
It's weird to think of all the things I'll go on to do that he wont be present for. Coming back from trips that I can't tell him about, going away and not having to tell him not to worry about me. Gifts that wont be brought for him, jokes he'll never hear. He was So proud of everything I've done, all of the places I've been; I want to live everyday in a way that he'd be proud of me.
He was and is a Son, Father, Husband, Brother, Uncle, Grandfather, Great Grand-father, Great Uncle, Cousin, Best Friend and so much more

Here's to you Grand-Dad. 


Introducing Grand-Dad to Photobooth

Posted in , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best night and day to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting"

- e. e. Cummings
Powered by Blogger.

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.